Thursday, January 26, 2012

Oxygen from Psalm 18:28-45 (Running on Bamahti Hill)

 28 You kept my lamp alight for me.   
      The LORD, my God, lights up my darkness. 
 29 In your strength I run a raiding party, 
      with my God I leap a wall.  (lit.)

 30  God’s way is perfect. 
      The word of the LORD is proven true. 
      He is a shield for all who look to him for protection. 
 31  For who is God except the LORD? 
      Who but our God is a solid rock? 
 32  God battle-dresses me with strength, 
      and he makes my way perfect. 
 33  He makes me as surefooted as a deer, 
      enabling me to stand on mountain heights (lit., Bamahti). 
 34 He trains my hands for battle; 
      he strengthens my arm to draw a bronze bow. 
 35 You have given me your shield of victory. 
      Your right hand supports me; 
      your gentleness has made me great. (lit.)
 36 You made a wide path for my feet 
      to keep them from slipping.

 37 I chased my enemies and caught them; 
      I did not stop until they were conquered. 
 38 I run through those who cannot rise; 
      they writhe beneath my feet. 
 39 You have armed me with strength for the battle; 
      you cause enemies to bow before me. 
 40 You placed my foot on their necks. 
      I have destroyed all who hated me. 
 41 They called for help, but no one came to their rescue. 
      They even cried to the LORD, but he refused to answer. 
 42 I ground them as fine as dust in the wind. 
      I shovel them like street muck. 
 43 You gave me victory over my accusers. 
      You appointed me ruler over nations; 
      people I don’t even know now serve me. 
 44 As soon as they hear of me, they submit; 
      foreign nations cringe before me. 
 45 They all lose their courage 
      and come trembling from their strongholds.

(Psalm 18:28-45)

Everlasting Father:

Psalm 18 praises You for deliverance,
providing refuge in the desert,  (vs.1-6)
rescue from a volcanic eruption, (vs.7-15)
and this miraculous victory in battle,
against all odds; David credits God.

The violence of this text may cause cringing,
but the warrior knows the horrors of war.
David credits You, Lord,  with victory at Bamahti,
(a word that appears only here
in all ancient literature).
At Bamahti was David trapped
in a gorge or wadi, canyon,
Philistines had hemmed him in,
and there appeared to be no escape.

But you, O Lord, kept his candle lit,  (v.28)
You showed your servant a way of escape,
and scampering over rocky footpaths (v.33)
David and his raiding party, (v.29)
like sure-footed mountain goats,
climbed the canyon walls,
bronze bows slung on their backs, (v.34)
found the safety of the path
that led around and behind  (v.36)
the Philistines encampment,
and breaking out of the darkness
You put the enemy to flight, (v.37)
routed them that night,
and those whom Joshua's men refused to kill, (Joshua 9)
in disobedience to the Lord,
David puts to death with the sword.

David renamed Bamahti Baal Parazim, (2 Sam. 5)
for there God proved his word was true,
You were for David "Lord of Breakthroughs."
What was true then militarily
is also true now spiritually;
whatever enemy we may face
Your Word puts it in its place,
that we may avoid defeat
and walk on heights with surer feet.
You give to us time and time and again
reason to trust you, Deliverer, Friend,
You never fail, even when we think You do,
You always bless, you always break through.

Break through my pride, chase it back
to where it cannot raise it's head,
and give me strong humility instead.
Break through my lusting appetites,
slay them all and make me right,
send Your Spirit in mighty surges
to defeat all filthy urges.
Break through habits I cannot handle,
when it's darkest, light the candle,
by which I may follow you
to purity of mind and motive.
Breakthrough my apathy, hard as stone,
melt my heart, make it your own.
Breakthrough anger that masks frustration,
hold my tongue in sequestration.
May every thing I do or say
bring glory to the Holy Name
of Him who died for me,
Jesus, Lord of Breakthroughs.

He broke through sin, He broke through death,
He broke through the curse, brought life instead.
He broke through the wrath of God,
He broke through the gates of hell,
He broke through when others ran,
He broke through and held my hand,
taking me with him through the breach,
to give me life and health and peace.
Oh, Holy Jesus, you make us run Bamahti,
You do not give us quick escape,
there is a risk that we must take,
as we confront the enemies of our souls,
the risk of trusting you alone,
to do what seems impossible.
Putting on your Spirit's armor  (Eph. 6:10-20)
we proceed in full battledress
upon the place of Your success,
to announce the great Good News:
You are the God of Breakthroughs.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment