Thursday, January 19, 2012

Oxygen from Psalm 17 (Sanctuary)

1  Righteous Lord, listen to my cry for help. 
   Pay attention to my prayer, 
      for it comes from honest lips. 
 2 Declare me innocent, 
      for you see those who do right.

 3 You have tested my thoughts and examined my heart in the night. 
      You have scrutinized me and found nothing wrong. 
      I am determined not to sin in what I say. 
 4 I have followed your commands, 
      which keep me from following the Destroyer. 
 5 My steps have stayed on your path; 
      I have not wavered from following you.

 6 I am praying to you because I know you will answer, O God. 
      Bend down and listen as I pray. 
 7 Show me your unfailing love in wonderful ways. 
      By your mighty power you rescue 
      those who seek refuge from the Enemy. 
 8 Guard me as you would guard your own eyes. 
      Hide me in the shadow of your wings. 
 9 Protect me from Destroyer who attacks me, 
      from murderous enemies who surround me. 
 10 They are without pity. 
      Listen to their boasting! 
 11 They track me down and surround me, 
      watching for the chance to throw me to the ground. 
 12 They are like hungry lions, eager to tear me apart— 
      like young lions hiding in ambush.

 13 Arise, O LORD! 
      Stand against them, and bring them to their knees! 
      Rescue me from the wicked with your scimitar! 
 14 By the power of your hand, O LORD, 
      destroy those who look to this world for their reward. 
   But satisfy the hunger of your treasured ones. 
      May their children have plenty, 
      leaving an inheritance for their descendants. 
 15 Because I am righteous, I will see you. 
      When I awake, I will see you face to face and be satisfied.
(Psalm 17)
 

Righteous Lord:

Thank you that by Christ's atoning death and vindication
you declare us righteous, right with God, forgiven;
by Your Word alone and not by any work or worth in us.   (Romans 3:21-25)
You call to order Heaven's Courtroom and declare,
"Not guilty."

Oh, how the franchised Holy Church(tm) hates the very thought
of forensic sin and the merit Christ has freely wrought,  
depriving clergy and their lawyers of something they can sell,
or hold, like the sword of Damocles, the mythic keys of Hell
to force comformity.

Test my thoughts and heart, O God.  Scrutinize my every way.
Save me from my soul's Destroyer. Keep me on the narrow way.  (Mt. 7:13-14)
As ancient law-breakers fled to six refuge cities  (Numbers 35:9)
to escape a kinsman's wrath, I fly to You, O God,
for safe sanctuary.

Your Holy Spirit comforts me, confirms, conforms me to Your will;
like mother eagle enfolds her eaglet to protect it from the chill,
enfold me in your loving care; guard me as you would Your eyes
in the maelstrom of gritty life.

Your scimitar is my defense, the twin-edged sword, Your Holy Word,  (Heb., 4:12)
the constitution of my hope, the promises that sound absurd
to those perishing in the world, grasping for what cannot last, (1 Cor. 1:18)
turned to ash in judgement.

I praise You that one day I'll see You, bow before Christ's presence,
but until then, I pray for faithfulness in us and our descendents,
by whom Your purpose for each human family shall be confirmed,
Your love goes on.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment