Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Oxygen from Psalm 13 (Praying Then & Now)

1 O Lord, how long will you forget me? Forever? 
      How long will you look the other way?
 2 How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul,
      with sorrow in my heart every day?
      How long will my enemy have the upper hand?
 3 Turn and answer me, O Lord my God!
      Restore the sparkle to my eyes, or I will die.
 4 Don’t let my enemies gloat, saying, “We have defeated him!”
      Don’t let them rejoice at my downfall.

 5 But I trust in your unfailing love.
      I will rejoice because you have rescued me.
 6 I will sing to the Lord
      because he is good to me.

(Psalm 13)


Heavenly Father:

Thank you for the New Covenant
by which Jesus ends our puzzlement.
In the days before Pentecost 
faithful people were at a loss.

The Holy Spirit had not been given,
until our Savior went to Heaven,
and sent the Comforter to tell us,
God's Spirit can now indwell us.

Never could David comprehend
the abiding, indwelling, neverending
solace that Your grace now imparts
to anxious minds and open hearts.

The Holy Spirit in that time
was not given to abide.
So David prays most sincerely,
"Take not your Holy Spirit from me."   (Psalm 51:11)

David could have no assurance
of Your gift of faithful endurance.
So we hear him lament and cry,
Come to me or I will die.

We bless You, Father, that we may live
in this era of Your mercy given;
We know You hear us when we pray,
that You never take Your love away.

We pray for Kathy's strength and peace,
and ask for Walter's swift relief.
For Becky in a far off land,
use her, Lord, advance Your plan.

For Stavros and his mom, Andrea,
for Sonam in the Himalayas.
Save dear Krista from her need
to rebel at break-neck speed.

For Seth and Mylo, Nathan's friends,
that their friendship need not end.
For Hank and Diana and their marriage,
for our health, our hearts encourage.

Oh Lord, let us rest in You,
for each today 'til life is though.
And then with David eternally
we sing "God has been so good to me."

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment