Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Oxygen from Psalm 18:16-24 (Rescued)

 16 He reached down from heaven and rescued me;   
      he drew me out of deep waters. 
 17 He rescued me from my powerful enemies, 
      from those who hated me and were too strong for me. 
 18 They attacked me at a moment when I was in distress, 
      but the LORD supported me. 
 19 He led me to a wide-open space; 
      he rescued me because he delights in me. 
 20 The LORD weans me according to my righteousness; 
      he restored me according to the cleanness of my hands. (lit.)
 21 For I have kept the ways of the LORD; 
      I have not turned from my God to follow evil. 
 22 All his judgements are before me; 
      His statues I turn not from me. (lit.) 
 23 I am complete with God;  (lit.) 
      I keep myself from iniquity. 
 24 The LORD turns me back according to my righteousness, (lit.)
      He sees the cleanness of my hands.

(Psalm 18:16-24)

Righteous God:

Here is an example of interpretations
masquarading as translations.
Why would scholars make your Word
say the exact opposite of what David wrote?

This is not David's self-congratulation
for his piety and innocence.
How could he claim to be
"a man after God's own heart"   (1 Sam. 13:14)
and contend his ways are perfect,
that You delight in such pride?

But that's not what he wrote or felt
or prayed to You when he knelt.
Sometimes we just have to write
in our Bible versions to get it right.
Believers -- get your pencil, pen;
verses 21-24 you should ammend.  (see literal translation above)

Evil cannot be random,
for it raises it's ugly head
at the moment most opportune
to inflict the greatest chaos,
to open up the deepest wound.  (v.18)

Why this summer of all seasons
in all our married lives together,
the one in which doctors deliver
both our potential death sentences,
why this summer and not another
does our priest come not to pray
but to threaten and to bully,
leaving us bereft of pastoral comfort?

Is that coincidence?  Is that random?
But thank you, Lord, you reached down
and gave us comfort from religion,
gave us disciples who would not let us drown.

And we, like David, knew God is stronger
than any evil purpose or plan,
to reach down and rescue His elect,
to be the Savior of sinful Man.
He reaches down his powerful hand
to draw his people from deep water,
like baby Moses, set afloat,
is rescued by Pharoah's daughter.

From deep waters, swirling chaos,
like baby Israel, trapped at the Sea,
Moses lifts the rod of God
and confounds the enemy.
Blown by wind from Yahweh's nostril,
Our great Deliverer there was found.
when the water stood like walls,
they walked  across on dry ground,
exposing bedrock smoothed by Providence.

Thank you, Lord, that you do delight
in saving stranded folks like us,
rescued not for our own sake,
but saving for the sake of Christ.
When we are in the tighest spots,
You set us in wide-open spaces,   (v.19)
opened so many new possibilities
where love and joy light our faces.

But when we start to congratulate
ourselves or credit luck or fate,
God weans us, lets us taste,
the gall of our self-righteousness.
When I think my hands are clean
of any evil or selfish pride,
my loving Father by His Spirit
inflicts my conscience mind
and restores me by repentance.   (v.20)

Then to His Holy Word God drives me  (v.21-22)
to give objective witness,
to confirm His character,
and declare His will is gracious. 
Truly by the Law's tough standard
I deserve to die for sins,    (Ezekiel 18:20, Rom.6:23)
but Christ has nailed them to His cross
and I am made complete in Him.    (v.23)

When I'm feeling I can do it
on my own without You, Lord,
You are faithful to show me quickly
Satan waits with his whole horde
to test my strength when I rely,
on my grit and not the Savior:
I'm back into that rocky tight spot,
crying out for Jesus' favor.  (v.24)

When people drown they lift their hands,
reaching up for what may save,
a universal sign of trouble,
not a greeting or a wave.
Help us recognize the drowning
and rush to give them aid,
so that they very signs of struggle
become the signs of Godly praise.

In our age of psychobabble
guilt and shame are set aside
but the Holy Spirit comes
and in our conscience does reside.
So help me listen to Your still small voice
that warns and by Your Scripture guides,
that I may always praise my Savior
and in his Word and life abide.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment