Friday, December 30, 2011

Oxygen from Psalm 3&4 - Evening Prayers

1 O Lord, I have so many enemies;
      so many are against me.
 2 So many are saying,
      “God will never rescue him!”
                        
 3 But you, O Lord, are a shield around me;
      you are my glory, the one who holds my head high.
 4 I cried out to the Lord,
      and he answered me from his holy mountain.
                        
 5 I lay down and slept,
      yet I woke up in safety,
      for the Lord was watching over me.
 6 I am not afraid of ten thousand enemies
      who surround me on every side.
(Psalm 3:1-6)

 6 Many people say, “Who will show us better times?”
      Let your face smile on us, Lord.
 7 You have given me greater joy
      than those who have abundant harvests of grain and new wine.
 8 In peace I will lie down and sleep,
      for you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe.

(Psalm 4:6-7)

Heavenly Father:

Now I lay me down to sleep ...

Some nights when I put out the light,
for some reason unknown to me,
faithless furies my soul upend 
and I stand in the dock condemned.
I cannot sleep. I toss and turn
while my imagination burns,
revving like an engine
disconnected from its transmission,
going nowhere, trying to impress
my self-righteous conscience, I guess; 
reminding me of every sin committed,
and questioning whether they're remitted.
"Those promises of Holy Writ,
are you sure they will acquit?"
hisses some familiar spirit.
Of course, I don't want to hear it,
but on and on it prods
"Can you really trust in God?
What if death is really The End?
Isn't God like the imaginary friend
you talked and played with as a child?
Haven't you out-grown the puerile?"

Now David committed sins and errors.
Surely he wrestled with phantom terrors.
Psalm three he writes while on the run
from Absalom, his own dear son,
he, whose name meant "Father Peace,"
betrays his kingly father to unleash 
against God's Chosen a civil war.    (2 Sam 15-18)
Alone and hurting, David calls upon the Lord
from his pillow and his exile,
seeking solace for this great trial.
This is, I think, largely why he wrote
the words of prayers, but not the notes:
to share with other sinners forgiven
the confidence we might have in Heaven.
To David high praise our God imparts:
Here a man after God's own heart.    (1 Sam 13:14)

Prayer is more than shibboleth
made aloud or under our breath;
prayer opens us, like flowers to the sun,
reorienting us to the source of love.
Prayer God's character reveals
and the Spirit makes His appeal
to see wherein we must change
and all our priorities rearrange,
overcome our own insurrection
by the potent death and resurrection
of the King of Kings, your Christ,
who is the perfect sacrifice
for all in me that needs atoning.

So, let that part of me believing
confess to my rebel self deceiving
me with doubts, disease and fears
Your sanctifying grace and cheer.
Help me say in the dark night of alarm,
You are my shield, my strong right Arm.
Yours the glory, Yours the name
that lifts my head above all shame
and bids me lay down and rest.
Ah, Satan may have done his best
but he lies defeated at your cross,
and I know I can never be lost
to Your grace and mercy free
that bids every rebel phantom flee
that I may rest in You contented,
Your truth is real, my fears invented;
and sleep away the quiet night
in peace and safety until the light
Your blessed morning greets.

...I pray the Lord my soul to keep.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment